Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mandolins Aren't Scared of Butterflies

Describe the world to me
with adjectives that score you well on the sat
painting me colorless pictures
In ways that are courteous
telling stories of peoples' faces around me
of how they are true or false
By listening to what I haven't said
because you are watching my music play
sketching the harmony into your memory

Your words make me want to listen
because they are thoughts before speech
offering eulogies for weeping willows
Your presence always has an aroma
like someone whose close but afraid
Your hands hold things close
pulling in someone else's arms
Your arms regret the weight
pushing away someone else's heart

Your ransom won't be paid
the taxes left over from a former lover
that collect interest every day
because you are your own creditor
You are crippled
only watching the world play
as children do in a school yard
bouncing balls, picking teams, ignoring the one drawing in the sand
Making your excuses for broken bones
but they've only become figments

No comments:

Post a Comment